The Women of Worth voted to award five local nonprofits with grants this year. Each organization will receive $500 to help support a program in this community that enhances the lives of local women and children.
- Community and Family Services for its Silver Lining store. The funds will help replenish the childcare supplies and equipment in the store. Families earn Silver Lining coupons by attending wellness doctor/dentist appointments for their children and for participating in childhood educational experiences (public library storytime, Early Head Start, parent-teacher conferences, etc.). Those coupons can be exchanged for supplies one Saturday per month. About ten families participate each month.
- Blackford County Arts Center for its 2021 Arts in the Parks program. The art classes led by local artists will take place at parks in Hartford City and Montpelier. The program typically reaches 150-250 students each summer.
- Carey Services’ Early Head Start program for learning equipment for its outdoor learning center. The equipment will be a flower chalkboard to work on creativity and fine motor skills and a traffic sign to teach sign recognition and safety. Early Head Start usually serves 30 students (up to age 3) at any one time and has a waiting list.
- Purdue University Extension and Blackford County 4-H for supplies to local 4-Hers to construct and plant planters at the Nature Play Area east of the Hartford City Public Library.
- The Hartford City Arts Council for helping to support local live music, arts, and cultural events.